About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Universal Truths

Life is strange sometimes, but I think the older we get, the more predictable things become. My guess is this is a function of experience, but it also has a lot to do with realizing that the more things change, the more they essentially stay the same.

I used to lie awake at night pondering the meaning of life and wondering where our next source of energy will come from. At some point I guess I realized that from my point of view, and in the bigger scheme of things, I am really just a tiny speck in the relevance of things universal.

More and more lately though, my questions have revolved more around why we as humanity are so intrinsically stoopid....

I mean seriously:

What makes a difference in religion so important?

Or a skin colour?

Why do we still have borders?

Borders have served to separate people and masses being manipulated by dictating within those borders what they are allowed to do, say, watch, think, worship, drive, learn....

The EU has shown that borders are simply a waste of time. Already, peoples have naturally drifted to where they feel comfortable, and others have stayed simply because they feel rooted to their birthplace.

In my own experience, Apartheid could only be enforced when knowledge and communication was kept away from those being oppressed. Conversely, tacit support for the system was maintained because the so called 'oppressor' portion of the population (actually just the non-oppressed), didn't really understand what it was their very own government was doing. If we had had access to the internet back then (or even international news via television), the system would have not been able to support itself for so many years. The government's own 'supporters' would have been able to see what was happening from an external point of view.

Robert Mugabe obviously doesn't know how to use Google.

And neither does Julius Malema.

Google them both.

Enter the unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano.

Observe how fragile we are when air travel (basic form of communication) is suspended by nature.

Imagine the internet being down for a week.

Imagine an onslaught on relatively defenseless satellites.

An undersea cable cut or two....

It's kinda exciting though. It has been an almost surreal experience much like watching Operation Desert Storm live on CNN.

Even though I know many people have suffered because of the travel issues, at least 200,000 (already poor and suffering) people haven't died.

It's almost amusing. And it makes life interesting from where I stand.

Away from the coast and any danger of Tsunamis.
Away from any continental faults and hence danger from earthquakes and volcanoes.
Not close enough to any polar region to experience horribly cold weather.
Not close enough to the equator to experience horribly hot weather.

All I really have to worry about is being murdered in my house.

And being hit by a meteor.

I sleep well.

later...


3 comments:

  1. I don't quite agree with absolutely everything, but you make some good points and you put them very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *looks pointedly at calendar comparing last post with current date*

    *smiles*

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.