About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Friday, September 11, 2009

Tantric

That's what my life feels like sometimes..... Long and drawn out, yet mostly pleasurable, and still waiting for the big orgasm.

So as you may know if you follow me regularly, I have had some ups and downs on the financial / employment front for some time.

So anyway, after my 'agent' (I always put it in '' cos agents are supposed to get you work right?) called this week asking if I was available for some work, I waited with baited breath for some answer from him.

Day 2: I get a mail from Ray at the client requesting me to contact them direct. This is rarely good because I don't really ever get involved until an order is signed etc... I am not good at negotiating rates and stuff, thats why I have an 'agent'. Anyway, I try call, but just get voicemail. Later, while having a beer with Wes and Ali, Ray calls, so I ask him if this has to do with what my Agent is quoting on. So he tells me yeah, sorta, but not the same - all enigmatic like. Then he tells me that Paul will call me with all the details. Paul is his boss.

Day3: Paul calls me. Says I can't work thru my agent because the project is not at mine level, but at corporate head office level, in which case, Agent is not a registered vendor there and I would battle to get my money (again). Ray will call me and give me the details.

Day4: Ray calls me. Wants to know if I can start earlier, but work through ***con as discussed with Paul. So I say yeah... I can come and see them next week (Paul said not going to happen till late in the month). Ray says next week? Fuck no, come tomorrow cos Charles from xxxcon is leaving for Peru on Monday. Oh Fuck, I think, Charles. Him and I butted heads on the last project.

Today: I go through, all nervous like, because of the Charles butting heads incident that may fuck all of this stuff up for me. Ray takes me to the boardroom where Charles joins us. - all kitten like. Hey S, he says, nice to see you again etc etc... When can you start? What are your rates? How can we pay you? Travel? No problem. Laptop? Sure, we have a new Dell lying around. Oh, by the way, we have some juniors we would like you to take under your wing and give them some training. It's just that you really know this reef and the orebody better than most. We'll pay you extra for that of course.

On the outside I am all smooth and calm like. On the inside, I am going Booooyaaaaaaa!!!!

So he takes me around to the project manager for intro's. 'Hey Heather, This is S I told you about. Make sure he gets what he needs, and if you have any questions, he will help you out. I've asked him to give some leadership to the new guys.'

So I am still spinning a bit....

I mean, the money is really good. I probably could have milked a bit more.... but once this project is done, there is always the opportunity to re-negotiate.

So Sethy is back to building puzzles (My daughter's description for what I do). Basically doing 3D models of underground stuff using a bunch of known, inferred, and extrapolated data plus a whole lotta gut feel. Once my models are done, the geostaticians use them as boundaries within they can estimate the value of the ore, and the engineers use my models to plan their routes to the ore, and the marketers use my models as pretty pictures in presentations to raise billions on the stock exchange.

As long as they don't send me down there to physically check my work...... I am not going 3.4km underground thank you very much. Thats 1.5km below sea-level. And the area is 'seismically' active in some places.


2 comments:

  1. i know exactly what you mean about that 'boo-yah' inside when you know you've got the job, yet staying serene on the outside :)

    torchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Congrats on the new work!!
    Sounds quite interesting, too. Personally, I think it would be kind of cool to see what you're really modeling, underground and all. But I suppose it would be pretty scary too.

    Anyway - sounds like things are looking up for you the last few days!!

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.