Hmm... Gauss' comment on my last post regarding the cost of my weekend away got me thinking...
It would be interesting to compare some money things in our lives across the planet..... Every year, some research co. (I forget which) does a Big Mac index comparing the Dollar price of Big Mac's around the world.
So here's the challenge:
Comment or mail me on how much each of these items cost in your area, and be sure to say which currency you are using of course and quantity (per litre/ US gallon / Imperial Gallon / pounds / kg etc), and I will post our prices and the comparisons in a new post. Some items may require some estimating....
Also, I would obviously like to know more or less where you are. You can post anon if you want to of course.
So here we go:
Big Mac Meal (Burger/Fries/Coke combo)
Litre of petrol (or US Gallon or Imperial Gallon)
Litre of Diesel "
VW Golf 6
One way 2 hr flight on a local low cost airline (Ryan Air? Virgin Blue?)
1kg of skinless chicken breasts (or per pound)
1kg of beef fillet (or pound)
Monthly rent on a 2 bedroom apartment in your area excluding utilities (water and electricity)
Approximate cost per minute of a mobile call (prepaid rates)
Monthly internet cost to transfer 2Gb of data (specify connect speed and whether there are limits on usage)
I-Phone
200g (about half pound) steak meal at a family restuarant (with fries and/or veggies)
Average bottle of red wine from your local store (Merlot/Cabernet Sauvignon/Pinotage) - not cheap plonk, nor expensive vintage
Can of Coke
Loaf of supermarket white bread
Tube of your favourite toothpaste
gram of cocaine (optional) (I did know the going rate, will have to ask around for the current one though lol)
One good Marijuana cigarette (joint)
Bottle of Jack Daniels
Pack of twenty Camel / Marlboro cigarettes
GQ magazine (or FHM / Mens health / or local mens lifestyle magazine)
A ticket to see District 9 (or any other latest release movie) at your local movie theatre /cinema or whatever you choose to call it...
I know it sounds like a lot, but please take the time to do a little research for me...
Please?
Hugs
S (oops, nearly posted me real name there....)
Happy Thanksgiving!
1 year ago

Sethy
ReplyDeletehey i really like this idea and ill be working on this hope all is well
take care and be safe
bob
This would require me to actually pay attention to prices of things. LOL. Which could be a good thing. And I'll just ring down to the local dealer and find out the price of an 8ball while I'm at it. :)
ReplyDeleteJust teasing. But one thing I think you need to specify, is if the prices are where the person regularly shops/buys, etc, or if they are factoring in price comparison amongst their own sources. Or maybe I'm making it too complicated. But...
For example, off the top of my head while I sit here:
A (US) 1/2 gallon of orange juice at the store I work at costs (an unbelievable) US $6.55 !!! A half-gallon at the store I shop at costs $3.49.
Bananas are $.79 cents a pound.
A quart of milk at the store I work at is $2.55. A 1/2gallon of milk at the store I shop in is $2.99 (!!!)
Gas (petrol) is around $2.79 per US Gallon.
A steak dinner can vary greatly. ($32 dollars for an 8ounce filet/tenderloin at most restaurants) but I think the average in family type restaurants would probably be between 12-18 if I had to guess.
My loaf of Arnold brand Health-Nut bread is $3.99 I think. But a generic brand is much less.
I got a smaller size tube of toothpaste on sale for $.99 cents, but a regular full size tube is between 2-5 dollars.
But then again, (not taking into consideration the utterly ridiculously expensive prices at the place I work) comparing the prices of the supermarket we shop at, its probably possible to get even cheaper prices at one of the big box stores like Wal-Mart or Costco, etc. And even supermarket prices vary widely between brand-name and generic food items, bulk quantities ("family pack" etc). And of course savvy shoppers can use coupons and other discounts to further stretch things. Sorry, I make things so complicated.
Rent on a two-bedroom condo/townhouse/apartment in our area averages around $1500 a month, but varies between $1200 - $1800 or lower in less desireable areas. (Sorry, to be blunt)
Our cable bill is $149 a month (yikes!!) which combines cable tv (basic package); phone service, and highspeed (cable) internet. So, I would say about $35 a month for the internet, and not sure of any limits, but way more than 2 gigs a month, for sure.
That's off the top of my head.
Blockbuster movie tickets range from $8 for matinee price (before 4pm) to 12 or 14 dollars for regular showtimes. A large popcorn, pack of twizzlers candy, and large soda will set you back somewhere around 12 dollars!!!
Sorry thats not complete to your list, and I know I didn't follow directions and email you instead of posting it here. :)
Oh, and these prices are here in New Jersey, USA.
No wonder we've got no money to live on, in this country!!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou asked for *homework.* LOL. All figures US Dollars. ;-)
ReplyDeleteAustin, Texas gas prices vary between $2.35 and $2.60 / gallon.
Big Mac -- Dunno. I don't do fast food. Though while on an international student summit in high school I learned about the so-called "McIndicator."
Rent: $950 / month -- 2 bedroom in my old apartment complex, but this was in a great area of town that overlooked the hill country. :-)
Internet is unlimited and bundled into my cable bill @ $97 / month.
$8 for an "average" bottle of wine.
iPhone 3GS: $199
District 9: $7 matinee @ Alamo Draft House -- does not include beer or meal cost. ;-)
Posting this made me realize how little attention I pay to the actual prices of items when I shop in brick and mortar stores... not sure if that's good or bad. Probably bad, lol.