About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Meaning Of Life

And no, I don't think it is 42....

I was catching up with some older posts in the blogosphere and came across this one by Lunario (methinks a well adjusted 16 going on 30yo student) where he questions what makes life worth living.

I did an exercise with ye olde shrink, affectionately known as Aunty Susan to establish my "Purpose"

Bare with me here; it's a process of assimilation, but summarised below in reverse....


My Purpose is to Love and be Grateful


In order to achieve this I need to be mindful of these aspects:

Confidence
To love
To be
To live

Socially Active
To meet
To laugh
To love
To be
To share

Freedom
To travel
To love
To be
To give
To enjoy

Generosity
To give
To share
To show love and affection
To express gratitude

-----------------------

One of the most difficult things to do is to love oneself - unconditionally. Not in a completely narcassistic way of course, but once we can do this, it is so much easier to attract love, and to give love.

Guess I am feeling a little down, and needed to express that to remind myself of the important things. Sometimes I think I have achieved nothing, but it is always material things I judge myself by.

But looking at my purpose sheet (it's on the fridge), I am right up there, right in the groove.....

But I have to pay the bills too lol. That's why I am down. Grrrr!

8 comments:

  1. In posh circles they call all this 'life balance' methinks and loads of the chattering classes are suffering it all too.

    That should make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sethy,
    I think Purpose should also encompass the acceptance of others unconditionally, and without judgement. Maybe the concept of love embraces that?
    I agree that loving oneself unconditionally is hard, its about acceptance and self esteem. You know some of my background working with youth, and that area has always been a focus for me.
    Society pressures us into making material judgements, sadly. Look at advertising, its geared to make us measure our standing by what we posess, not by who we are. Even more regrettable is that its often targetted at our impressionable youth.
    Sorry if your feeling a bit down, hopefully expressing it here has helped. Keep looking at the fridge!

    Lotsa Luv,
    Baz

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't pay your bills, don't worry. The opportunity is not lost. They'll ask you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It also happened to me that I only started to attract love, when I started to love myself. Strangely, I did not realise this until I read your comment in this direction over at Deadwing's blog. So many thanks for helping me understand myself a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments bois :)

    Always brightens the day

    ReplyDelete
  6. The meaning of life IS indeed 42 - it's a well established fact.

    And for me, my purpose in life is simply to serve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Doomed... as long as you don't make serving detrimental to your own well being....

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.