About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Mobile phones











I have a history with cellphones...

When they were launched here, I was working for company that became one of the first service providers in the country. So, I was one of the first to get a cell phone.... ooooooo!

My first phone was a Motorola 5200.It weighed a ton, had a pull out areal, and with the 'extended life' battery, I managed about 6 hrs total. That included about four phone calls during the day.

There were hardly any towers installed, so signal was restricted only a few pockets around town.

I have lost at least five. My favourite phone ever, given the technology at the time, has to be the Nokia 5110i, though the bricklike Nokia 2110 was a really amazing phone for its time. I left it in the rain, dropped it while on a motorbike on the freeway, and it just kept working.

I also like my N70, of which I had two. The first one I left on my car about a week after I got it, and the second went 'missing' at a club. Frodo Boy was giving me a lap dance with his shirt off, and we retreated to the bathrooms.... :)

I lost my last phone under similar circustances las Saturday. Drunk, and trying to get Movie Boy to come home with me...

Anyway, I am shopping for a new one now, and have my eyes on the Samsung Omnia. It has a built in GPS - which I was going to spoil myself with next month anyway (2 birds with one stone), and I love the I-phone look. I-phone only has 3G capability (weird), while the Omnia is HSDPA ready - something that is important to me.

So what phone do you have? Comment and let me know.

4 comments:

  1. I have a Motorola Krave. It's total crap. It's touch screen is a touch screen in name only. It is extremely unresponsive. lol My previous phone was another Motorola, an e815. Great phone right up to the point where every time i plugged it in to charge, i'd get a "Unable to charge" notice, or the phone would just power down. WTF? I had various Nokia's before and all of those worked great until they were dropped or otherwise rendered unserviceable. Oops. But seriously, Motorola Krave = Total, 100% crap. And i'm stuck with it for another 18 months until my contract expires, or i get fed up and buy out my contract and just go get an iPhone on a different carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lolz... I have never been a Motorola fan. I only speak Nokia these days, so moving to a Samsung is going to be a learning curve :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so was that vodacom?

    i'm iphone-boy, but you knew that. it's uber cool but still far from perfect. i've had nokias and ericssons and have always hated motos. last one was a s-e k610i which ok.

    torchy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe, it was just before Vodacom started. It was our OTHER mobile operator, MTN.

    I had one number for two years, and the number I use now is the same I have had for over twelve yrs. I have just changed service providers, but luckily get to keep my number. Will be upgrading to a new phone at the end of this month, but not sure what I want.

    So I am just using my old HTC for now... which is a pretty cool phone anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.