About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Friday, March 27, 2009

The 'Y' generation self pics


I am always intrigued by the number of Y generation self pics that appear around on the ether. I have a few pics of myself when I was young and beautiful that I guess could easily compete with what is around. But of course, I don't think I would ever post them - and don't bother asking for them either lol.

I have two teenage daughters, and shudder to think that they may get their hands on them one day through some random boy site (I think they are both straight). Or God forbid, I come across one of their pics through some random search...

My oldest brother also has a teen daughter. Through a series of furtunate decisions, he is rather wealthy, and at some point allowed his daughter to move into the cottage adjoining the house. She invited a girl friend over with permission from her parents, but the two girls also invited their respective boyfriends around without the knowledge of my brother.

They took some (innocent) pics, and posted them on facebook. A few days later, a parent from the school called brother, and wanted to know how he can let boys stay over? Needless to say, she is back in the mainhouse, and is no longer allowed on the net in her room. And rightly so.

The converse of all of this is:

Each generation grows up into a norm of acceptable behaviour. Posting self pics, sending each other nude self pics (which opens up the distinct possibility that they will posted somewhere on the net without their knowledge) appears to be acceptable within the generation involved.

So the scenario is this: Let's say I post one of my teen self images on some site, and at some point, one of them or their friends figure out its me. What would in fact be their reaction? Okay I know my girls pretty well, and I seriously think it would be:

"Oh look, that's Dad! Awwww... he was also doing it at some point! Cute! We love our Dad! Always ahead of the game, and not a bad looker when he was young."

So the question of the day is: How would you feel if one of your kids or one of your parents discover your nude self-pics on the net?

I believe everyone should be open to their kids about sex and the consequences. I speak openly about it to mine. They are sexually aware young people, and should not be in the dark the same way I was. They are aware of my sexuality, but I don't flaunt it. It's usually an innocent comment about Wentworth Miller or something like that. Or one of them may ask me whether this (male) celeb, or that is hot? It's cute really.

In hindsght, my mother played a big role in my life in my twenties, after I eventually left Trevor (for the umpteenth time). She realised then that I was a sexual being, and we spoke a lot about sex openly. She too has had her own share of sexual partners in her life, and I am not awkward about talking about it.

When I came out to her officially, she simply expressed disappointment that she would have to now compete with one more person for the hot boys around.

I love my mother, even though she makes me mad sometimes lol.

We never really grow up. Ever.

6 comments:

  1. how would i feel? surprised mostly, as there no nudey pics of me in existence, and the world can breathe a sigh of relief at that!

    lolz at you and your mum competing for the hot boys!

    torchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. no nudey pics? Sethy is disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sethy's disappointment is misguided - sethy should be relieved :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I think the sheep is cute. The best one I've seen on a blog this week. So thank U 4 that. I might even make him / them my wallpaper . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dunno I am from back in the day when men were men and sheep were scared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Ken - hahaha.. funny man

    @ Mick - lolz....

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.