About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday after the weekend

So my last post was amusing - even to me, but it really is how I felt. It's good to be a in a place like that every now and then.

So back to reality of course. My oldest brother called me this morning to thank me for paying him back so soon.

Some history:

I came THIS close to marrying his wife's brother. N is the same age as me, a brilliant architect, beautiful, funny, sexy.

He is also an abusive alcoholic, a coke addict, a liar and a leech. Pity I didn't know about all of these last things BEFORE I packed up and moved 1200km to live with him. That was eighteen months ago. Since then, he has basically lost is architectural practice, all his friends, and any support he had from his family.

So a couple of years ago, he bought his sister's BMW from her (well, basically from my brother I guess). My brother agreed he could pay him directly because (surprise surprise) he has a crap credit rating. After I moved down there, I found out that he hadn't been making the payments. My brother also paid the insurance, and N also owed my brother a bunch of money for speeding fines which brother had paid for him.

Just before I left him, he went off the road with the BMW in a drunken stupor. I was out with friends because when we were supposed to go out, he was too drunk to even pronounce his own name. He had come to look for me.

He still had the audacity the next day to blame me for 'framing' him regarding the car. he truely beleived I had trashed the car and blamed him because I knew he wouldn't remember. he clearly didn't remember. That night, he lost his wallet, phone and doesn't even know how he got back to the house from the accident scene. He didn't even know where the car was. I had seen it on the way home the next morning because he had locked me out of the house and I slept at friends.

So brother had the car fixed through the insurance, and took the car away from him. We used my car which was fine. After I left him, he begged brother to let him use the car again because without it, he couldn't carry on with his business. he relented, and gave the car back. Since losing his business, he hasn't made a single payment to the car. he now owes more money than the car is worth.

Last week, N trashed the car again. Not badly this time, but still a significant repair bill which he is expecting brother to pay and 'add it to his account'.

So brother NEVER discusses any of this with me because he is embarrassed about it. My mother often drops a tidbit or two even though she promises him not to say anyhting. So I was really surprised this morning when brother had a long conversation to me about it all. He told me he has instructed the repair shop not to let N take delivery of the car, and he is simply not going to give it back to him.

A little nasty of me, but I wish I could make the payments for the car, because I would love to go down and collect it from brother, and drive around the small town enough for N to see me with 'his' car. He needs a kick up the ass quite honestly.

I'm not one for revenge, but one incident I can never forget. I flew back from Johannesburg and called him before the flight departed to make sure he would be on his way to the airport to collect me. It's a two hour flight, and the aiport is far from the little town, so he had to leave at about the same time so we could meet there together. he was like "Of course, sweetheart, I was just about to leave"

When I landed, he hadn't arrived yet. It was winter and I was on the last flight in. As soon as all the passengers had left, they basically closed the airport. I stood outside in the cold for three hours, trying over and over to reach him on the phone. Eventually I had to call my brother to collect me, and also to tell them I was worried about N thinkig maybe he had an accident on the way to the airport. My brother came to get me (an hour and a half drive at midnight), while his sister and my nephew went to our place to see where N was. he had passed out in the lounge, was full of blood from breaking the bathroom mirror (wtf). They had to break in because they could see he was bleeding through the window.

And I still forgave him, and stayed for another two months before I just couldn't take it anymore.

PS.... Welcome to Doomed But Cheerful as a new follower. I would provide a link, but his blog is set to invitation only (drops hint)

6 comments:

  1. try doomed other blog.... http://doomedbutcheerful.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both you and your brother are extremely patient. Chapeau!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I always lie in polls.






    Luvvvvve
    Tigs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @jay... thanks for that buddy :)

    @gomad... too patient methinks sometimes

    @slave... I will pretend you are 18 and love to be with older men :) Joined your blog btw...

    ReplyDelete
  5. jeez. sometimes, you really just have to give up on people, collect your losses and move on. Its tough to do, but for your own sanity...

    I've had several situations like that over the years, although not quite as extreme or dramatic - and eventually I did just learn not to even get involved in the first place. (Although I think you said you did not know at first).

    And just recently, a friend passed away, after years of being a (non)functional alcoholic, and slowly ruining his lovers life.

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Seth... I seem attracted to them in some way, and had my fair share of experiences. But now I just walk away. A practicing Buddhist monk who counsels prisoners and addicts said to me last year that the real fact is that rehab centres are just money making organsisations. The real success rate of rehabilitation is less than 2%

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.