A stark reality has hit over the last few months.
I work with mines in a consultative and training role regarding the creation of virtual 3D models of geology. I spent a few years in a training role, then moved into consulting, first with my brother then on my own. I am pretty damned good at it, and for a while, I was in demand. Last year, I worked for about six months, and could afford the gaps in between work because the hourly rates are pretty good.
I started a 'small' project in December which was to be the precursor to a big one which was due to start now. I was working on my own, basically laying the foundation for the new project. There was to be at least five of us - internal and external - that would be starting now.
Two weeks ago, the big cheeses decided to postpone the project indefinately, and I was told I would have more micro project work, but only in September.
Now, in theory, that would be fine. If I had received the full amount owing to me on completion, there would have been enough capital to initiate one of a few other ideas I have in the way of diversifying. And by the time September came around, my little diversification project could be paying dividends.
But..... I have been receiving minimum payments, only just enough to pay monthly bills, not enough to apply the capital. grrrrrrrr! And this month, the payment is late, so bills are late etc.
I will deal with my ideas in my next post.
Happy Thanksgiving!
1 year ago

If not completely abandoning what you have been doing, it seems you need to have something else to do as a source of income.
ReplyDeletesometimes it does help to move on to something more productive or enjoyable. change can do good. well-planned, of course.
ReplyDeletePete's on the staff at Rolls Royce aeroengines in Derby. Just before Christmas he & his friends got v nervous when the Board ordered ALL contractors to be done away with.
ReplyDeleteIts insurance against the credit crunch.
If RR are doin it? It's a tough world. Can you lay carpets or do plumbing? Those R safe areas here.