About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Monday, April 20, 2009

Coming out... slowly does it

It was boxing day. The ex and I had already negotiated seperation. We hadn't told anyone, except the girls. We told them we are doing a trial seperation for now. It's the hardest thing either of us had had to do. There was always the fear that we are somehow going to damage them, but up till now, we both still think our kids are better off with us being apart. And they think that too.

She was with some friends with the kids, I was at Little Brother's house with family. The plan was we would start telling people a bit at a time.

I blurted out that it looked like her and I were going to divorce. There was a stunned silence. On the outside, we were the model couple. My cousin (female) was the most shocked. She had just married, and said after that her and new hubby had discussed that they would model their marriage on what the ex and I had managed to achieve.

Later, after many drinks and food, cousin and I were dancing, and I whispered in her ear that the reality was that I wasn't exactly straight. She giggled and held me closer and kissed my neck. She whispers back in mine: Oh shit!, There goes my childhood fantasy...

A gay friend of the family was also there. He left early, but left his jacket. I called him to tell him, and he said he was at a friend, literally down the road. I left and popped in to drop his jacket. I was drunk, and on a high from telling my cuz. I told the gay boy after a drink. His friend and I ended up snogging on the couch. It was amazingly liberating. Finally, I had told somebody within the circle (two people now), and there was just acceptance. And finally, I had deep tongue kissed someone known to the circle. No guilt. I went home and basked in the glow of knowing I had a new life ahead of me.

2 comments:

  1. Lol @ cousins reaction! Thanks for sharing.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "snogged on the couch?" I haven't quite gotten that reaction yet. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.