We can all look back in our lives and remember incidents that have changed our life courses, or simply changed our state of mind. They may have been small incidents, a thought, a look or a smile. Some are more traumatic.
This is one of those incidents. I am going to make it short, because the incident itself is something I would prefer to forget, but how it changed my life for the better will remain for me always.
It was the 4th of July lol... 2000.
I had returned from the bank to my home office with a bunch of cash to pay subcontractors. We had a security system. Eight foot wall, electric gate, security doors, alarm system etc etc.
I opened the house, then my office and checked mails. Took the laundry from the machine to hang it on the line. My wife was at work, and kids at daycare. When I got to the laundry area, someone with a knife took me from behind. There were two of them, I never got to see their faces. I was tied up with packaging tape, blindfolded in my bedroom. Anything of value was loaded into my van. Electronics, PC, clothing, bedding, all the cash of course. I was loaded into the back of the van with one of them. It had a canopy with frosted windows because I frequently carried a bunch of expensive equipment around with me. We drove to a gas station. I was made to give up the pin numbers of my cards, they drew what they could from the ATM, filled the van with diesel, and we were off again. I thought they would throw me out somewhere, or my body of course.
We parked somewhere in a garage or building, and stayed there for two days. After that, we went on a joy ride, me still in the back with all my stuff. The tape had been removed from my body, and new tape around my face. A rope replaced the tape around my body, as it was slowly coming loose. They went from town to town, stopping for booze and basically drinking away the cash.
They took me on Tuesday midday. On Friday night, we stopped somewhere rural. An older black woman talked to me softly though I couldn't understand what she was saying. She fed me traditional maize meal, and a beer. It was the first food or drink I had had. I had prepared myself to die, if not by their hand, at the very least from starvation and humiliation.
That night, by some miracle, I managed to gather enough strength to part chew my way out the rope, and wiggle it loose. The plan was if we drove near a crowded area, I would smash the back window and make an escape.
My plan was foiled as they placed a guard with me in the back, but luck was still on my side. They picked up a woman, a prostitute I guess, and we drove into a forest. They left the van and went into some thicker brush with her. The back door hadn't been locked, so I slipped out, hoping the keys were still in the ignition, but they weren't. I took the blanket, all the cash I could find in the front, my camera bag (NO-one takes my fn camera), and slipped away into the forest. I hid in a gulley while I heard them driving around the area, shouting threats of death if they found me.
When I was sure they were gone, it was night. I followed the sound of trucks descending a pass. I walked to the nearest town about a three hours away, staying some way from the road, afraid they may still be in the area. At a gas station on the perimeter of the town, a good samaritan took me to the police station. I called my wife. She thought I was dead.
My family drove the five hours to fetch me. A cousin lived closer, and he was there within an hour. He took me to a friend who lived in the town. I was a mess. I burnt my clothes after showering for more than half an hour. I thought of the movie Dead Man Walking, and vowed then no matter happened after that, I have a second chance. A chance to live, no longer just to amass wealth and things. A chance to live a life that mattered. A life where I could make a difference in others. A life where I mattered.
The following day, my wife and I were sitting in the waiting room waiting to see our gp so he could record my injuries for the police report - a bunch of bruises, a few minor cuts, dehydration, an allergic reaction to the tape. I said to her that my life priorities have changed.
I think that's really where we split up. I became someone different.
I went for counselling, she never did, thought it was weak, though I think it was more traumatic for her. My kids thought I was on a business trip. My counselling turned into a discussion about my sexuality. I guess something good came out of it.
So... stressing about the odd financial hiccup? meh....
Happy Thanksgiving!
1 year ago

Wow. That's terrifying!! Totally scary - and you are lucky you survived, thank god. That certainly would be a life-changing event - not to mention some definite PTSD issues to deal with. But, it also seems it made you stronger, and opened your eyes to new things and new directions in life.
ReplyDelete*hugs*
I can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. Congratulations on surviving it, and I'm glad that at least some good eventually came of it.
ReplyDeletewow what a life altering event...
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if this is something that would be easy to forget, and forgive me for saying this, but I'm not sure if it is something that you would want to forget given that in some twisted way, it was enlightening and soul-searching. It certainly put life in perspective.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that you found some positive out of that experience. I'm not sure many people would have gotten passed the psychological trauma.
D: D: D: that's horrible
ReplyDelete*hugs* we are glad you are here with us :D
Hey there...
ReplyDeleteHectic experience!!!
I've been hijacked a couple of times, had people break in whilst I've been sleeping and generally been thru some stuff in my life (I live in SA too) but never been held captive for more than a couple of hours.
Man, makes me take a step back and reconsidder things again...
I can understand you seeming like a 'different' person afterwards, especially as you went to councelling and took the important step of working thru it, looking at priorities and deciding on the positive.
I've seen a bunch of couples only find out who their partner really is after that sort of situation, as it brings out the 'genuine' you.
Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post that... it can be difficult to do sometimes.
One of the things that gets to me at times is how we can become so insensitised to violence and crime in general.
I take it for granted that I have to be super alert at some spots on my way to work, and not a week goes by without me seeing someone's window being broken in the traffic.
Then I take a trip to visit my friends in Swaziland (just a few hours away) and find a different life!!!! :-)
Of course they have crime too - every country does - but I have had the missfortune to break down a bunch of times, and without fail someone would stop to help, never once to rob me, but showing genuine concern.
I've been waiting at my car for a mechanic to arrive with parts, and every 10 min or so another friendly passer-by would stop and offer to help.
I have learned a lot from the Swazi people and their customs, their racial tollerance etc. and try and put it into practice back at home.
(ll that just to say that I have learned to remember that not everyone is bad, and that there is good in everyone. Sometimes you just have to look harder in some people.)
Wow, sorry about the long comment, your post was just so close to home for me...
I'm going to take some time tonight to again remember friends that have been lost due to crime. esp a dear friend of mine - Catherine - who was shot in a hijacking at the end of last year......
Wow man, talk about traumatic...
ReplyDeleteIt is funny how a simple situation can entirely change your life, change how you think, and change how you interact with the world...
Iraq was like that for me, so I know where ur coming from...
fantastically horrible story m8
that sound absolutely horrifying. i have never experienced anything like that, and hope i never will. i am very glad you are here to tell the tale though, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSo one of my parents is from the Caribbean. You hear stories on occasion about "bandits," and ransoms, and so on, but you're the first person I've met who actually experienced such a thing first-hand. Amazing, and more power to you. If that *wasn't* a life-changing event, there's something out of balance in your life.
ReplyDeleteThanks for all the comments.
ReplyDeleteI seldom tell the story because it simply inflates the impression that we are a crime ridden country to be avoided. Yes crime rate is higher than what it should be; but so is unemployment and poverty. These are more likely the root causes of crime.
There are worrying issues though which can't be ignored. The violence accompanying sometimes petty crimes is one. Rape of victims of house robbery also seems to go hand in hand. So there is an underlying current of anger still boiling below the surface. It can be traced both to being treated as second-class citizens for so long, and perhaps anger that not much has changed for the lot of the poor. Unfortunately, there is still a simmering inter-racial hate which rears its ugly head from time to time. Far too often for my liking anyway.
But no swine flu. Yet. :)