About Me

My photo
Forty something. Gay. South Africa. Please take time to fill in any polls I put up, you know its anonymous. And comment so I don't feel alone in this :)

Friday, April 24, 2009

A discussion on economics

Danish Guy has been an online friend for ages. I love debating with him. Just a copy and paste of our discussion tonight. It may bore some, but it's my blog right?



Danish Guy says: What's up with work?

Sethy says: mining industry is fickle lol

i been contracting, and they frozen contracts for now

Danish Guy says:
You mine now? O.o Working ore?

Sethy says: hehe, no, building 3d models of the geology


Danish Guy says: Ah. Geology.

You are sooo yellow in the Whole Brain test

Sethy says: oh yeah? explain? hehe


Danish Guy says:
Just a personality test It's the out-of-the-box insanos

Sethy says: hahaha

sounds about right lol

Danish Guy says: So are you insured? I mean: coping.


Sethy says: yeah, still income from previous project, but planning on other stuff now

just tightening the belt a bit
adapt or die basically lol
i have been looking at software that helps dyslexic kids read
set up a small practice

Danish Guy says: Wow, that's almost altruistic!


Sethy says: kinda time to give back

not a lot of money in it, but a lot of satisfaction
and theres always a market in education when times are tough
its an economic decision too of course

Danish Guy says: Ah, yes. Like people flocking to government jobs ( like me)

It really was never an ambition of mine, I must say.

Sethy says: of course, but times are changing

some would say a move to global socialsim

Danish Guy says: Not in my neck of the woods


Sethy says: perhaps, but take a close look at 'western economies', a move to providing more to the poorer and/or battling middle class

US, Australia, UK
all have strong social security programmes
France, The netherlands. the same
gov's are pushing money into 'rescuing' capitalism
if that's not a move to a more socialist environment, then I don't know
just don't name it that
cardinal sin lol

Danish Guy says: What do I know. We've had that for ages.

It's falling apart from within with the funding, though.
All those goods are still based on value generated by capitalist markets.

Sethy says: yeah. A whole new series of economics text books are being written as we speak


Danish Guy says: Yes, but if there is no safe bet even for investments to just hold par against inflation, then how exactly

Regulated capitalism. I'll buy that.
Socialism? 5 year plans? A job for everyone? No thanks. Saw that in Eastern Europe.

Sethy says: Regulated Capitalism is the only real way, but it will take some time for that to be affected. It's the problem of the widening gap between few rich and masses of poor that has put us here. New text books as I said. New look at regulations. How rich does an individual need to be? Or a group of individuals?

A shiny new term to define some middle ground. Perhaps Responsible Capitalism

Danish Guy says: Fine with me.


Sethy says: ja, and add to that, social and environmental responsibility, something that "western" economies are only just starting to see.

It is an exciting time though. I am glad I am here to experience it

Danish Guy says: I don't buy the green wave.

Companies will do it if the penalties are larger than the investments.

Sethy says: Perhaps even China will see it in decades to come


Danish Guy says: And I know from the power company I just worked for, that we can't do it even if we wanted to.

Not unless you and I stop using electricity and gasoline.

Sethy says: I know, but it is a seed that requires planting in the youth of today, in the unwritten text books

A tangent the new youth needs to lean out on

Danish Guy says: They'll be busy dealing with The Hubbard peak.

The world is running out of oil Exploding demand will meet plummeting supply.
Kids born today may never own their own car unless it's completely powered by solar energy or wind charged.
And that still leaves the problem of generating electricity with much more coal without creating and explosion in CO2 emissions!!!!

Sethy says: Of course...


Danish Guy says: *an explosion

Trust me.
I saw the numbers.

Sethy says: Oh yeah... I know that


Danish Guy says: My old company is partnered up with MIT and Cambridge.


Sethy says: The research is all there, but economies are big ships to turn

But turn they will have to

Danish Guy says: They're best in the world on cleaning smoke from coal and natural gas power plants. And they can clean 0.5% of the total emission with the largest facility built to date.

The goal is zero CO2 emissions by 2050.
The investment needed would make electricity 20 times more expensive in today's money.
And that's given the supply of coal and oil and natural gas doesn't plummet as it is about to.

Sethy says: Scary times indeed.....

and all i am concerned about really is getting laid lol

3 comments:

  1. here's what I learned: despite my belief that the entire universe is populated by utter morons, there are some intelligent people out there scattered around the globe and we can find each other on the internet.

    oh yea - and at the end of the day we're all only worried about getting laid

    ReplyDelete
  2. Velly intrestin' BUT STUPID!

    You dink El Presidente he is goin to VOTE for DAT?

    You want your a heads lookin at. He'd never get elected again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. goleftatthefork: "here's what I learned: despite my belief that the entire universe is populated by utter morons, there are some intelligent people out there scattered around the globe and we can find each other on the internet."

    That reminds me of one my favorite euphemisms for dealing with the public: "Think about how stupid the average (insert demographic) is. By definition, half of them are dumber than that." ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Be nice. Smile before you type. I will only delete if you are being unfairly prejudiced in any way.